Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen Worktops

graham wrote:
Are premium worktops such as acrylic, Corian and granite worth the
significant extra expense? Have you bought one and been ddisappointed
or do you feel it was worth the extra money?

We need to firm up on our new kitchen within the next week or so and
would appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Graham

Ive tried most of them.

Chip and plastic is pretty much the best value for money, but its not
the best.

We now have a not too expensive bit of RIVEN granite..thats really nice
because it takes the knocks and doesn't show slight scuffs. Polished
granite works OK, but its a bit too shiny for my taste.

Slate is a possible, but its not as toigh.

Marble is subject to chemical attack - don't.

We also have wood tops - real wood tops. Ruined by SWMBO treating it as
if it was laminate. Burns and water marks.

Theres a lot to be said for stainless steel..