Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmsjane@gmail.com is offline

Default removing a wall

On Feb 13, 11:33 am, Goedjn wrote:
On 13 Feb 2007 05:57:00 -0800, wrote:

Hello -

I want to remove the wall between my kitchen and living room in my
craftsman cottage. I have checked the joists in the basement and the
run parallel to the wall. Also, this wall is not supported in the
basement. I have no access to an attic to check the ceiling joists.
Am I safe to assume it is not load bearing based on what I have found
in the basement? If not, is there some way to confirm the ceiling
joists without having access to an attic?

Thanks!

You're willing to move an entire kitchen wall,
but you're afraid to cut a hole in the ceiling?

Afraid? I would hardly say so. I was just looking for the least
destructive way to go about this because if it was load bearing, we
are not doing any to the wall and everything would have stayed as it
is. I did end up cutting a hole and no, it isn't load bearing, as I
suspected.