Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Pinewood Derby Diagnosis

On 13 Feb 2007 08:29:38 -0800, wrote:

Man, why'd you even bother using "we" in this post? Sheesh.

Blame the engineers you refer to in another post ("Hey, they're
cheating, so I will, too!")

Rationalize it as a learning experience ("Son, you're going to have
to do this for your son some day, so pay attention.")

Rationalize it because you did well. Make excuses all you want, and
I know you will.

But if your kid gets kicked out of school for cheating, let's see how
well those excuses hold water. Since pinewood derby is nothing like
school, he's not being taught cheating is OK, right? Riigghht.

Whether you realize it or not, when you're not around, the kids talk
about who did what. (this coming from a former pack leader) Kids
being kids, the ones that didn't do well (but did it themselves) will
have lots of ammunition for those that had DaddyCo make their car.
And they -will- use it. ("Loser, you can't even build a car! Your
Dad had to do it for you!" That's a verbatim quote.) They all know.
The kids are psyched when they win, until later, usually during the
trophy presentation, they get called out. And all those wonderful
lessons you think you imparted are washed out by a few choice words
from an eight-year old.

The winners learn the wonderful life lesson that hey, I won, so who
cares if my dad did it? And please, spare us the tripe about his
"involvement" in the process. Eight year boys don't polish axles
down to sub-microscopic levels.

But hey, at least yours will know Kipling. At least have it
memorized, anyway.

I've had dealings with you before, McCarver.

When you are not on alt.soc.fat-acceptance, you are on
rec.sport.football.fantasy, or rec.gambling.poker, according to your
Google profile.

Why don't you leave decent folks alone?

You last blew in here in April of 2005, once again giving me a lot of
crap.

You are not a former pack leader, you are scum.

My story stands. Assholes like you must lie down.

You think that you can't be tracked? Doug Miller could give
coordinates for you that would let us call in hard rounds for effect -
with no ancillary damage.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)