Posted to alt.home.repair
Layperson Tom Layperson Tom is offline

Default GB instrument, circuit breaker finder question

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:37:56 -0500, "claude" wrote:

Has anyone here ever used a an Electronic Circuit Breaker finder? More
specifically a GB instruments CB locator. This is a gizmo where you plug a
small signal generator into a live plug and with a receiver probe you can
find the associated Circuit Breaker at the panel.

Here is the question. How is it possible to get 2 different Circuit breakers
reacting with the same audio and visual ( LED) intensity? Does this mean I
have spaghetti wiring? Or is this common in or around the same wiring areas?
Or an induction effect? Perhaps a related problem here is that I have
wireless house intercoms, they use the house wiring to send signals around.
I can call the first floor from the basement or the first floor to the
second but I can never get a signal from the basement to the second floor?

I guess that we don't need fancy electronic circuits to get mysterious
effects!

Claude Charbonneau
Montreal Canada

Had a Commercial electric version of the GB. I thought it was ok, but
wasn't exact. I was hunting all over for a breaker supplying a
circuit, and found that many subpanels set off the device. I'm
looking for a better tool myself.

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com