Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default need location of fridge defrost timer

writes:
Well, after defrosting the evap coils, the freezer and fridge are back
down to normal temps. I still have been unable to locate the defrost
timer and I was wondering if it's possible it's on the "motherboard"
which is behind a panel on the exterior rear of the unit. Any
thoughts?

If the fridge has electronic controls, it just makes sense for defrost
timing to be controlled by the microcontroller on the board (zero extra
cost) instead of an electromechanical timer.

But the problem might not be the electronics at all. If the defrost
heater or its wiring is open, or there's a relay that energizes it and
the relay is dead, you won't get a proper defrost even though the
electronic controls are doing regular defrost cycles.

Dave