Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Faurot Michael Faurot is offline

Default Groz Hand planes

Andrew Hartung wrote:
Could I get the group's opinion on Groz Planes?

You're going to read a lot of replies to you post that tell you
these things are no good. Maybe I'm just lucky--but they work great
for me. I've got the #3, #4 and #5. After spending some time
tuning and sharpening--they all make nice shavings and do what
they're supposed to do. I'd buy them all again.

I've never owned or used any of the better planes out there, such
as those from Lee Valley or Lie-Nielsen so I couldn't tell you how
those compare to the planes made by Groz. I suspect they don't.
But then comparing a Groz plane to a Lie-Nielsen is probably like
comparing a Camry to a Lexus LS. Groz and Lie-Nielsen are both
planes, Camry and Lexus are both made by Toyota. If you just need
an inexpensive tool, the Groz will do it as will the Camry. If you've
got the money to spend and want something that's higher quality the
Lee Valley/Lie-Nielsen and the Lexus will do it for you.

The Groz planes are on sale at Woodcraft.

If you've never used planes before and don't know whether they're
going to be something you want to use or not--this is a pretty good
sale with $21 for a #4 and $27 for a #5. Just be prepared to spend
some time tuning and sharpening them.

remove ".invalid".