Posted to alt.home.repair
Jason Jason is offline

Default Movable wall

1, no.

Why wouldn't it? I ask this so that I can improve the plan, not to be
argumentative.

2. skip the wall. how will exercising people get needed fresh
air changes in the basement?

Two ways, actually:

First off, the top of the wall is open, so air can flow across easily.
This was originally done because the heat / AC ducts are in the
ceiling, and the ducts are ran into the center of the room; exactly
where I want the wall. So, instead of moving the ducts, it's easier to
leave a gap so that the air will blow on both sides; plus, it matches
the rest of the house this way.

Second, both the game room and the gym have 2 windows each, allowing
for plenty of fresh air.

can the game people come over at night
and the exercise people do their thing in the morning?

Technically, yes, but this is more of a design element than a
functional necessity. The basement is currently JUST a game room, and
it's where my friends come over to hang out and have a few drinks, so
it's not exactly fashionable to throw a party centered around a bench
press, Smith machine, and treadmill ;-)

WHO will be using the basement, that is, how many people?

My girlfriend and I are the only ones to be working out, while the
game room can have up to 20 people at one time. The gym will be used
throughout the week, while the game room would only be used on
weekend.

WHAT is the moisture/construction type/climate?

I'm in eastern NC, and well above sea level, so moisture isn't a big
problem. The walls are red brick on the outside, and cinder block on
the inside. They are currently covered in paneling, which will be
replaced with the same sheetrock that the new wall will be built from.

WHERE are the windows and furnace, water heater?

There would be 2 windows in the gym section, and the game room would
have 2 windows, a door leading outside, and an opening to the stairs
that lead to the first floor. I have central heat and air; the pump is
located in a closet area in one corner of the game room, located
beneath the stairs that lead to the 2nd floor, while the water heater
is located in a separate laundry room.

WHEN the year will this be used?

Pretty much year 'round. I've been living here for almost 4 years, so
I have no reason to believe that anything will change now.

WHY do you want a wall?

Purely aesthetic. I've been working over the years to make my house
look JUST right, and the only thing left is the dining room and the
basement. My girlfriend and I take turns on projects, and since we did
the bedroom last, it's my turn with the basement.

I've recently begun the basement project, which also includes a third
room for a movie theater, modifying the location of the laundry room,
removing some carpet and replacing with fake hardwood floors, and
removing all paneling to replace with sheetrock. I figure that, since
I'm going through all of that trouble, I may as well spend an extra
$300 and have a wall built in that will allow me to decorate the game
room in more of a "man's" area (leather, dark wood, etc), while
decorating the gym with mirrors.

I already have everything needed at this point (furniture, pool table,
movie projector and screen, and gym equipment), so the only thing left
is the construction and painting.

HOW could you overlook ping-pong instead of pool, it folds out of the
way.

Please forgive my stupidity! LOL I bought the pool table for a steal
at $200 (4x8 slate with claw feet and leather pockets), and always
figured that I could place a ping pong table on top of it if I wanted.
It's not uncommon for me to play alone when work stresses me out,
though, so the pool table was a cool buy for me.

Now you have enough room to install as many treadmills as needed.

If only it were that easy! ;-)