Posted to rec.woodworking

Default spraying minwax spar urethane

On Feb 12, 8:11 pm, BIG AL 2 wrote:
Has anyone ever tried to spray urethane out of a gun rather than brush
it on? If so, what type of spray gun will do the trick.

SNIP

Al - no need to heat you product, and it might make a mess if you
did. I am assuming that you want to reduce the viscosity, but you
will screw the pooch if you warm it up and it is a lot colder or
hotter than the surface you are spraying.
Besides, even with Minwax you shouldn't have any problems spraying
from about 60 degrees to 95. And with proper mixing of thinners, you
can easily spray beyond those numbers. No kiddin'.

I always spray with the urethanes thinned about 10% or so, unless it
is closer to the 95 degree mark, then it is less. If it is closer to
the 60 degree mark, I might thin it a little more. Minwax is an easy
to spray product, and very forgiving.

You don't need a special gun, or even an expensive one. Just get one
that seals positively (so when you pull the trigger it shoots, and
when you let off it quits), has a smooth trigger and is easy to
clean. Remember to pick a gun your compressor can push, and that has
a spray tip somewhere around 1.5mm (give or take a couple) for general
finish spraying.

Practice your gun setup (spray pattern, pressure settings and material
viscosity) and thinning protocols on a piece of scrap or cardboard
before you start on your doors.

Robert