Posted to rec.woodworking
Walter Walter is offline

Default Formica alternative - will this work?

"Greg O" wrote in
:

"Walter" wrote in message
.120...
I am building a router table top and had planned on using Formica for
surfacing the top and bottom. That is until I saw the $43 price tag
on a sheet of Formica! That's a lot to pay for a sheet of material I
only need about of a third of for my project. The only thing I found
close at Lowes was some wall board that appears to be hardboard with
a white plastic coating. 1/8" thick. Will I regret trying to
substitue this for Formica? I didn't see any other types of laminate.
I plan to attach this stuff with contact cement and flush trim the
edges.

Thanks for any input.

-Walter

Call a couple counter top installers and see if you can get a hold of
a couple kitchen sink cut outs. That is what my router table top is
made out of. The best part, cost to me, nothing!
Greg

Thanks all you guys for the suggestions! What a helpful group!

I think I will try to find some scraps somewhere, even if they are fugly.
If that doesn't work out,I will try some of the online suggestions.

Thanks again!

-Walter (wood butcher in training)