Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GB instrument, circuit breaker finder question

"claude" wrote in message ...
Has anyone here ever used a an Electronic Circuit Breaker finder? More
specifically a GB instruments CB locator. This is a gizmo where you plug a
small signal generator into a live plug and with a receiver probe you can
find the associated Circuit Breaker at the panel.

Here is the question. How is it possible to get 2 different Circuit

breakers
reacting with the same audio and visual ( LED) intensity? Does this mean I
have spaghetti wiring? Or is this common in or around the same wiring

areas?
Or an induction effect? Perhaps a related problem here is that I have
wireless house intercoms, they use the house wiring to send signals

around.
I can call the first floor from the basement or the first floor to the
second but I can never get a signal from the basement to the second floor?

I guess that we don't need fancy electronic circuits to get mysterious
effects!

Claude Charbonneau
Montreal Canada

I've used the cheap ones and the expensive ones and you still get that
crossover to multiple breakers occasionally. Like Doug said you can better
results putting the receiver against the wires in the panel.

Before we had these high tech devices to confuse us a common way to find a
circuit was with a flasher button, pigtail socket, 100 watt light bulb, and
an analog ammeter. Connect the pigtail socket with the flasher button and
bulb inside to the wire or outlet you want to trace. Then go to the inside
of the panel and clamp the amprobe onto each wire until you see the needle
bounce up and down. You can find the neutral this way also.