Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default Groz Hand planes

Andrew Hartung wrote in
news
Could I get the group's opinion on Groz Planes? Or for that matter any
of the other (new) lower cost planes, like Bailey, Grizzly. I'm in
need of a #4 smooth and a #7-8 jointing plane and maybe a
rabbet/bullnose. The Groz planes are on sale at Woodcraft.

A couple of summers back, I worked at Rockler's, to help out the manager
with a problem he had. An interesting place, for a few months at most.

The Groz planes came in, and they were pretty much the first ones that had
been there in a while. One Saturday, a fellow needed a block plane, and we
set about to get him one that worked. After opening, cleaning and trying
to adjust 4 block planes, I sent him to the local hardware guy to buy a
Stanley contractor's version. We boxed the Groz and sent them back to HQ.

For cheap crap, no price is low enough. And this was cheap crap.

If you need to save money, wander around to garage sales, and ask about or
for woodworking tools they might want to sell. A good old plane might cost
you $10. Pay cash, smile, and go home and sharpen.

Or tap the retirement savings, and go to www.lienielsen.com

Stanley info you will find of interest, should you spend the hours required
to do the reading, is at www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html Patrick
is one of the early wReckers...

Patriarch,
far down the slope