Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Question - electrical short

Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article t,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

For the compressor it does not mater which way it is plugged in as
far as damage to the compressor goes. It is usually safer to
plug it in the correct way. If designed correctly the hot wire
will go to the compressor's
on/off switch , then to the pressuer switch and motor and back to
the neutral wire. This makes it slightly safer but if the plug is
reversed the
compressor will work just fine if it is in good operating
condition. The 120 volt circuit is alternating current and as far
as the electricity is concerned it makes no differance, unlike DC
that is found in the cars and maybe a few other places.

Absolutely not true -- there definitely *is* a difference between
hot and ground in an AC circuit. About a 120V difference.

Please reread the post. I did not mention anything about the ground.

Pardon me -- I misspoke. I meant to say, "... between hot and
neutral".

You imply they are interchangeable. They absolutely are not.

It has
already been established the ground pin has already been cut off.
I simply said it does not make any differance which way a plug is
inserted in the socket if the ground pin is cut off. The compressor
would not be harmed. That only leaves the hot and neutral pins to
connect and electrically it does not mater which way the plug is
put in, the compressor will still run just as well either way if it
is not defective.

While that is true, it does *not* mean that there is no distinction
between
hot and neutral. There absolutely is a difference.

Jeez, get the hair out of your arse; you're attempted display of knowledge
is lost the way you're posturing. You're basically arguing with yourself.