Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question - electrical short

On Feb 12, 7:53�am, Jethro wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:35:26 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove

wrote:
Sounds like something shorted inside the male plug. Breakers don't always
trip as quickly as we'd like them to

It sure surprised me. *I feel if I had not been 'right there', that I
would have had a fire! *Now if I haven't damaged the compressor.

Thanks

Jethro

"Jethro" wrote in message
.. .
I did a stupid thing - but I am curious.

Someone lent me his air compressor on which he had a 3-prong male
plug. *He had clipped off the ground, leaving the other two. *I
carelessly plugged the thing into a wall receptacle without paying any
attention. *That's the stupid part.

I turned my back on the receptacle to flip the compressor on switch
on.
I heard a strange sound, turned around, and a little black smoke was
coming out of the receptacle where I had plugged the male plug in.
Needless to say, I immediately removed the plug. *When I did, one
metal prong pulled out of the plug remaining in the receptacle. *I
turned the circuit breaker off and removed the prong.

I think I must have plugged the thing in backwards, since the ground
was missing on the plug to prevent that. *Dumb! *Anyway, I now am
curious as to why the goof did not trip the 15A breaker. *I think it
should have. *Maybe the breaker is bad?

Agree?

I will replace the compressor plug of course.

Thanks

Jethro- Hide quoted text -

What you did shouldnt of mattered, the compressor is likely defective,
locked up etc but not enough to trip breaker, or receptable was bad
and its time just happened at that moment.

Thats why I avoid loaning or borrowing tools, WAY too much hassle