Posted to rec.woodworking
J.M. J.M. is offline

Default URGENT - How to adjust planer infeed rollers?

I've spent more time than anyone should looking at this machine and am just
stumped. I'm ready to call in a pro to have a look at it. The rollers do a
have a small amount of pitch on them but nothing significant, the chip
breaker is adjusted well out of the way, and the bed of the machine is
actually a custom molding bed made out of melamine and waxed several times.
On the feed rollers I can adjust the height as well as the spring tension
but after playing with both setting for house I'm not much further ahead. I
just started using the machine this week "new from box" so I can't see
anything being warn out yet...

"J.M." wrote in message
I have a powermatic PM15 5HP (Planer / Molder) and I'm trying to set the
height of the infeed and outfeed rollers in relation to the cutting blades.
I've been having so much trouble that I finalled bought a bed feed roll
gauge / deflection gauge to measure the distance and set the rollers.
According to the manual the in-feed roller needs to be 1/16 lower then the
blade and the out-feed roller 1/32. When I checked the current setup they
were way to low and so I assume the lumber was butting up against the
roller instead of feeding under it. Anyway after reseting the rollers to
the "proper" heights the unit will not plane 1/8 of a pine board while
pulling the lumber through, I cranked the rollers down a little more and
it's still not grabbing. Am I doing something wrong or is the manuals
guidlines way off?