Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Newbie

On 11 Feb 2007 20:29:00 -0800, wrote:

I have always wanted to be a woodworker. Building furniture and making
house repairs. , building a deck is my main goal. I have no training
and want to know where to get started. I tried to email my local high
school but got no answer. I know I should go to class first. I live in
marysville, ohio and not sure where I can get classes, a good cost and
so forth. Also, when my husband found out I wanted to be a woodworker,
he is pushing me to go out and buy tools. I told him I dont want to
buy tools without advice. I want midrange multipurpose tools. Not too
expensive, not too cheap. Is there a place where I can get a list.
also lighweight would be good for me becasue I dont have regular size
wrists. My hands and wrists are very small. I have a dremel with
attachemets and a 24 volt drill. I have a work bench and that thing
that goes around your waist to hold tools. I have drill heads, various
nail sizes, hammer, wrenches, level, tape measure, hand saw, pencils
and various screw drivers. I know a little terms but not alot. There
is so much to know so an someone help me put and give me basics so i
can know what questions to ask? I am a computer analsys by trade right
now. Please assist

There's a Woodcraft in Columbus--go by there and talk to the
people--they'll know what's going on in the area. They have classes
themselves and should be able to put you in touch with any clubs in
the area. While you're there look through their books and plans and
see if you find anything that looks like it would be fun to do, then
do it. Get the tools you need for that project. If you screw it up
you do--use it for firewood and start over.

For house repairs and building construction, one thing you might want
to do is volunteer for Habitat for Humanity--they're always happy to
have another pair of willing hands and building houses is what they
do.