Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser Lobby Dosser is offline

Default Newbie

wrote:

I have always wanted to be a woodworker. Building furniture and making
house repairs. , building a deck is my main goal. I have no training
and want to know where to get started. I tried to email my local high
school but got no answer. I know I should go to class first. I live in
marysville, ohio and not sure where I can get classes, a good cost and
so forth.

Have you tried a local community college for classes? You might also
check out stores that sell tools and wood. Woodcraft, for example, offers
classes in my area. A couple good books will also help. For example:

Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship by Peter
Korn. This is an excellent book for a beginner, particularly as you want
to eventually build furniture.

Build something Simple first. Success begets Success.

It sounds like you are not setting out to be a tool junkie, but beware
advice to buy a $1500.00 cabinet saw. You don't need it now, and you may
never need it. The Korn book will walk you through some simple projects
using hand OR power tools OR both.

Good Luck and, whatever you do, Have Fun.