Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default What governs router speed?

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:40:50 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I have a 2 1/2" diameter fingernail bit. I only wanted to use the top part
of it, which is only about 1" diameter. I figured that full speed would be
okay, and it seemed to work out; but I wonder if the speed is for the bit,
or the part of the bit I actually used?

It's both. You shouldn't ever exceed the maximum recommended speed of
the bit (which you may not actually be given my the manufacturer
unless you contact them), but the best speed to run the bit within
that range may not be the same whether you are using all or part of
the bit.

When in doubt, spin it slower.

-Leuf