Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Telephone wiring

On Feb 11, 4:41�pm, Bert Byfield wrote:
Many years ago I did the telephone wiring for most of my house, and
although I connected all 4 wires I thought that only 2 carried the
line. *So, 4 wires = 2 lines. *Is it true that now each line uses all
4 wires? *If so, what's different?

Phone lines use two wires. The second pair of wires was in olden times used
for an a/c connection to a phone accessory, but that never got very
popular. Some people used the second pair for a second phone line. Usually
the second pair is unused.

I helped a friend upgrading to DSL, and found some old still plugged
in AC adapters for lighted phones buried in cielings of this over 100
year old home.

The upgrade was a nightmare since verizon did NOT like AT&T supplying
DSL on their network. I swear verizon did something intentially

I finally plugged the modem, directly into the NID and it wouldnt work
dependably, then tried my working modem from home, it wouldnt work
either.''

A week later my friend got verizon and it worked flawless....