Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian O Brian O is offline

Default Telephone wiring

"justadilettante" wrote in message
"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article ,
"justadilettante" wrote:

Many years ago I did the telephone wiring for most of my house, and
although
I connected all 4 wires I thought that only 2 carried the line.

Correct.

So, 4 wires = 2 lines.

Correct.

Is it true that now each line uses all 4 wires?

No.

Should I replace my old wall outlets?

No, unless they are not working or you need the practice.

Is there any benefit if the voice quality is already good as is?

No.

Do my telephones care?

No.

is the old, thin telephone wire still considered adequate?

Yes.

24-gauge is the current standard. There is plenty of 26-gauge gag out
there
but, other than its propensity to turn into a rats nest in a

ready-access
cable terminal, it is technically sufficient for POTS.

I'd like to know if I do this again in the future.

I discovered the other day that Menards is STILL selling *GARBAGE*
telephone
cable. It is white-sheathed 3-pair 24-gauge with (apparently) NO twist.
The
"pairs" are red/green, yellow/black and white/blue.

Just to verify my suspicion, I connected my butt set to one pair then
applied
my "toner" (tone generator) to another pair. The cross"talk" was so bad
it
was almost like a direct/hard connection. Absolute trash for anything
more
than one line. Talk about "let the buyer beware". Sheesh!
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel

Thanks - I didn't think I should believe everything the wire guy at the
local boxstore told me!

For my info, why do you care about the twist (referring to your response)?

--
nj_dilettante
in the words of the immortal Sgt Schultz:

The twist he is referring to helps to create an electromagnetic "shield" and
helps to cut down on the crosstalk he is talking about.