Posted to alt.home.repair
Della T Della T is offline

Default CO gas from broiler

I just bought a CO detector, and wanted to try it on everything that
burns. Neither my stove-top burners nor my oven produced any measurable
CO. This made me a little suspicious until I tried my separate broiler.
The reading on the meter reached 100 ppm within 45 minutes. Yes, I
had thoroughly vented the house since testing the oven. The reading was
confirmed by a second measurement a day later.

So I thought I could just adjust the oxygen mixture by opening the
window on the gas line to the broiler. CO is the result of a rich
mixture (not enough oxygen), right? But the window was already open all
the way. So I thought I might as well try closing it down. This time
the measurement reached 100 ppm even faster - about 30 minutes. I don't
know if that time difference is scientifically significant; I didn't
want to continue or repeat the experiment.

Is there anything other than the mixture adjustment that I should look
at? Or is the burner damaged beyond repair? It does make a little
sense that a burner that sits ABOVE the flame could be damaged, but I
don't know if that would create CO.

Thanks,
Della