Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default AC sizing

Martino wrote:
OK. I get the point it's certainly worth considering. Hard to assign the $
value to the comfort but easier to assess if extra $xxx is worth being
comfortable during these few days. In reality over a longer period of time
(even only 10 years) the per very hot day cost might be not that high and
therefore the return on investment might be there. I need to see what the
price diff is between the units and associated costs.
Thx

It might even make sense to factor in global warming. Extreme
temperatures will be more common as the planet suffers the impact
of all those SUVs and the destruction of the rain forest.

"Goedjn" wrote in message

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:24:50 -0800, "Martino"
wrote:

If it's 105 degrees outside, do you really need it to
be 72 inside, or will 82 be good enough?

Good point but if it is possible to get down to a more comfortable 75F
(which I used for the design param) then why not. Looks that with the
adjusted dry/wet bulb values I will be able to achieve it with a 5 tons
unit.

Let me rephrase: How much are you willing to pay for the
difference between 72 degrees and 82 degrees, on the
three to six 105 degree days you might encounter per year?

Is that more or less than the price difference for the
next smaller AC unit?