Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Wrong wiring

Jeff wrote:
Make sure the outside vent opens up when the motor runs. It may depend on
air flow it generates for cooling. Is the filter clogged? Just some
thoughts.

"pkmicro" wrote in message
newsAtzh.348$yg7.68@trnddc08...
Hi all,

My Kitchen Range Hood fan has stop working after about 17 years. I went
out and bought a
replacement motor to replace it, after about a month the motor fan has
smokes coming out and
stop working, the plastic that cover the copper wire had melted. I took
it back to the store that
I bought it from and they replaced with a new one, after I put it back
the same thing happened and they
gave me a new one and I also bought a new switch. But after I look at the
wiring of the switch I desired
not to install the switch and just install the motor. After about a month
with the third motor the same thing
happened again, the fan stop working, the plastic cover melted and smokes
coming out. When I touch
the motor it was hot to the touch. We finally found the flyer the have
the information about the name of the
company that the Range Hood was manufactured, so I called the company and
went to buy a replacement
motor. The motor I got this time does not have plastic cover like the
other one. But after I installed and
my wife was using the fan for about a short time the motor slow down and
stop. After it cool down I can
turn it on and it run again. I called the company that I bought the motor
from they refer me to the installer
and suggest that to have them to come in and take a look. I called the
installer and he suspect that it's
must be the switch and suggest that I replace the switch. So I opened up
the metal plate the cover the
wire nut where the wire from the switch goes into connect with the wire
from main circuit board and found
that the BLUE wire from the switch connected to the RED, the RED from the
switch connected to BLACK.
This a puzzle to me the way it's being done. My question is should I
connect my new switch with the same
color together? (RED to RED, BLACK to BLACK and BLUE to BLUE).

Thank for any help with this.

The fact that it worked for 17 year and
then quit, and all the replacement motors
burned out, is suspicious. Have you
measured the voltage? Was the original
motor, for some unknown reason, a 220
with 220 coming into the hood? This also
smells similar to at least 2 other
threads here, about open neutrals. Just
a few ideas.