Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Designing windows

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

"Newshound" wrote in message
I'm planning to replace 50's steel framed windows on an 18th C cottage
with timber casements. On the rear elevation these are 2300 wide and 1200
high so I have some choice over numbers of casements and glazing bars.
Does anyone know of any design software that would help sketch out the
options quickly?

Second question, I know there is a rule requiring toughened glass for
windows with cills below 800 mm. Does that apply both sides? My outside
cill is only 300 mm from ground level. (Can't easily dig it out, although
I would like to, because I would have to re-lay all the drains).

Maybe this could be what you're looking for...

http://www.punchsoftware.com/products/platV10.htm

Alternatively, Autocad would do the job but will cost a shed load more.

By the way, what're '50s steel framed windows doing in an 18th century
house? An inconsiderate predecessor?

Thanks for the suggestion; it looks quite neat, but there are a few general
"house design" packages out there and there's not much detail of what it
will do on windows. I'm hoping to find a user recommendation.

On the steel windows, previous owners did many extraordinary things which I
am gradually reversing. However I could be grateful they didn't let it decay
to the point where it had to be pulled down and replaced with new build.
Across the road there is a terrace of assorted cottages which go back
several hundred years, with sections re-faced in Georgian, Victorian, and
Queen Anne. One of a pair of the latter was allowed to decay to the point of
uninhabitability, and the planners allowed it to be pulled down and rebuilt
as a modern fake. So now between a fine Victorian brick house and the other
QA there is this monstrosity in modern brick, cavity walled in stretcher
bond, with windows slimmed down to meet insulation requirements and thus
only two thirds of the width (although the same height) as windows in the
adjoining properties. end of rant