David Hearn

Default OT - Domestic Safe

"Harv" wrote in message

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:56:04 +0100, "Sanj" wrote:

I'm seriously thinking of buying a safe, but have no Idea on what's

good
what's not etc...I don't really have too many places to bolt a safe

into
concrete floor other than the garage, so was thinking of an under floor
safe. Has any one bought one of these...any advice appreciated

The thing that troubles me about having a safe is that if someone
broke in and found a safe they'd presumably figure that you've got
something really valuable in there - and maybe damage your home worse
than they might otherwise have done if they did a quick recce to find
something to nick.

I've often thought about a fire safe for backups of my software, but
for the above reason have avoided the idea.

A friend who spent the last few years installing alarms agrees with this,

in
his house is a fireproof safe for keeping important docs/backups etc, with
the keys kept in it, so anyone breaking in could see that the contents are
worthless (to them)

I wonder if the keys are fireproof.... if he left it locked and the keys
melted, there might be an interesting problem getting it open again...