Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Hollow Wall Drive Anchors

Sounds like the shelves have "keyhole" slots. If it's not wood lathe
plaster, a molly bolt would work well

"Sue" wrote in message
. net...
I have lath and plaster walls. I want to hang 3 shelves that have hangers
pre molded in the back of the shelves that requires the shelve be placed
over an extended screw head and then pushed downward so that screw head
slides into a slot about a 1/2 inch long and come to rest at the top of the
slot. Hope I described that in great enough detail - if not ask questions!

I went to Lowes to purchase Hollow Wall Drive Anchors and it turned out I
seemed to have more knowledge about what I wanted than any of the
employees. Not enough to actually know what I wanted though. Very, very
sad for Lowes and me too!

Anyway I purchased some anchors made by Cobra. The anchors are not like
other hollow wall anchors I have used in the past in that they do not
require a pre-drilled hole. Supposedly one should hammer the anchors into
the plaster wall. The anchors are equiped with a metal point and a
plastic collar just above the metal tip. Anyway, these things are at
least 1/4 inch thick at their widest so I thought rather than just
pounding them in I would pre drill a hole to reduce the tension when
inserting the anchor. Any thoughts?

My nagging question is, have I purchased the correct anchors? There is a
selection guide on the packaging.

SIZE WALL THICKNESS
1/8" SD 1/8" @ 1/2"
1/8" LD 5/8" @ 7/8"
1/8" SLD 1/8" @ 13/16"

I purchased the 1/8" SLD - which was anchor that was finally recommended
by the store employee. I do not understand what the manufacturer is
trying to demonstrate by the 'wall thickness' in the chart above
descriptions. What means 1/8" @ 13/16" under Wall Thickness?

Thanks for any assistance!