Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

Default Screwfix trade counters

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

Oooh...didn't know that! Mind, it's the 'wrong' side of the city for
me...

Parking is a bit of a pain (they don't seem to have more than about 4 spaces
- all of which were full with a burger van and a powertool demo tent) but
there is the big pay'n'display (or park in iceland etc ;-))

Are these trade counters still easy to use if you're a general punter?
(I know you aren't a builder, Darren....)

Yeah. Think Argos with more staff, less gold hoops earings and pushchairs
and free coffee while you wait.

Stacks of catalogues, write down the numbers of what you want and queue up
(only took a couple of mins even though it was packed). They check your
order is in stock, you pay and get a number. You then hang until they yell
your number out. Again, quick despite being packed. Only took me 20mins to
browse the catalogue, order and collect my stuff, have a coffee and a free
burger and chat with the (bored) guy on the powertool display. Could be
dead handy if the stock levels pan out ok.

What I really want is to be able to order and check stock online and then
just go pick it up. I dunno if you can ring them and order - I didn't see
anything suggesting a ring and reserve type service.

Darren