Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Tie to attach joist to beam above it

One advantage is not having to build shoring walls to carry the
load while you cut the joists to be able to struggle, and I do
mean struggle, to get the beam up between the cuts and then
install the joist hangers. Depending on the length involved and
the clearance you are willing to allow on the joist hangers, you
are asking a lot to have a beam straight enough to slide right up.
You need to have the new beam in location under the cut before you
install the shoring walls.

If it is going to be an attic space or other use where the beam on
the "floor" won't create a problem, it can be an elegant solution.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

On 2007-02-10, DanG wrote:

This has been done for ages to remove bearing walls.

Could you explain what the advantage is to putting the new beam
on top
of the joists instead of in line with the joists (so the bottoms
are
lined up)? The latter seems much simpler in a variety of ways,
but
perhaps I'm missing something.

Thanks, Wayne