Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] stevens.shannon@gmail.com is offline

Default Slab leak in the desert

On Feb 9, 2:18 pm, " wrote:
About as easy to run 2 lines as one, same access troubles, PEX is easy
to work with once your in there.

I would at least run all new pex before repairing walls, why do THAT
twice??

Busting into slab MAY do colateral damage to hidden sewer lines etc.

Better to go all overhaead ONCE and be done with it, may be advantage
at resale time too!

I believe we have all reached a consensus. I've decided to go for the
rerouting. Larry, though I can't be 100% certain of the leak spot
without the leak-detection service, I am absolutely confident that it
is from the hot water line that branches off after the kitchen. My
water lines go from the hot water heater to the kitchen (includes the
washer), then guest bath, finally master bath. It's a pretty compact
house from that standpoint.

My home-owner's insurance claims adjuster came out yesterday and I'm
pleased to say that my decision to buy the additional "water back-up"
insurance has paid off quite a lot (I think it cost me like $18 for
the year or something like that). With the check I was given to pay
for the carpet padding replacement, retacking, cleaning, etc etc etc
-- all of which I can do myself with no anxiety whatsoever -- I should
get away with less than a grand out of pocket for the plumber to run
all new lines.

I'm hoping that my ability to repair all the drywall after the
plumbing is done will cut my costs. So on the positive side, I'll have
great motivation to repaint in preparation for putting the house on
the market in a few months. And I really do believe it will help with
the sale having all new plumbing. These slab leaks are one of the
biggest risks when buying an older house out here (yes, in Vegas, they
think a 1963 house is really old. hahaa. they think a house built in
the 1940s should be on the historic register -- not kidding!). I'm in
a working-class neighborhood where a lot of us buy our first homes and
knowing the plumbing won't be exploding anytime soon could make it a
more appealing purchase.

Well I have some saturated carpet padding to get the heck out of this
house. Hey, any idea how long it takes a slab to dry after all this??
I don't want to put the new padding down until then.

Thanks again for all the help this week. I'll let y'all know what the
plumber says Monday.

--Shannon