Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Slab leak in the desert

On 8 Feb 2007 20:43:57 -0800, "Lawrence"
wrote:

On Feb 8, 10:26 pm, "
wrote:
Took up the carpeting today and found the cracked concrete and
large wet spots -- sure hope the bad pipe is under there.

So here's what I'm wondering -- any thoughts on whether it's easier to
fix a slab leak or to run new hot water lines through the attic crawl
space?

It will be a lot of work to break up the slab and pour a patch
compared to say running new Pex in the attic and with less down time.
That said, your attic must get very hot there quite hot enough to heat
up the tap water significantly.

This might be OK for the hot water but will suck when you want a cool
drink. I have a private well on my place goes down 150 feet. I can
enjoy a cool drink year round. You can keep cool water in the fridge
but it always gets that fridge taste.

I never get a fridge taste from water.

My mother had a glass bottle, flat with a special 3-piece aluminum lid
that screwed on. It has the part with the holes, a long rivet, and a
part with no holes that covered the holes when the bottle was upright,
and which fell away and opened the holes when the bottle was tipped.

But I didn't have that when I started, and I just used the plastic
half gallon bottles from milk, rinsed out a few times. now I also use
half-gallon plastic apple juice containers and 3 liter soda bottles.

Maybe your taste buds are more sensitive than mine, but all of these
taste neutral.