Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default How to clean a swimming pool - completely?

Where are you? I am in Miami Florida. It's 75 degrees out.

"Gerry Atrick" wrote in message
The outdoor temparature is MINUS 15 deg and windchill is 35 BELOW, and
you're talking about swimming pools. GIMME A BREAK !!!!

If that pool was here, you could drive on it today. !!!!

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 22:15:55 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I just took posession of a property I purchased and are planning some
remodeling work before I move in. The remodeling work will last 4 to 6
months.

I am trying to decide what to do with the swimming pool (below ground
pool).
When I got it the pool is already in pretty bad shape - not structurally,
but hygiene wise. The house has been vacant for months and so the pool
looks green and murky - green is probably algae? I was told by the
realtor
it is a heated pool but it's not working. The lighting along the side of
the pool still works.

So now I need to clean the pool. The location is in Miami, FL and I was
told by a friend that I cannot drain the water or else the pool may crack
because of the low water table. This may be a stupid question but - is
there a drain for a pool? I have no idea where the water comes from to
fill
the pool and where the water goes. Is there a stopper thingie at the
bottom
I need to dive in to pull out?

My decision to be made is - do I leave the pool the way it is for now,
until
the remodeling is almost done, then deal with the pool? By then there
will
be mold growing out of it...or do I drain the pool now and leave it dry
during the remodeling process? or do I drain/clean the pool and keep it
maintained for 4-6 months knowing it will not be used once (except may be
by
the contractor). What is the best approach?

I also heard that there is a new system where you can just add salt
without
the need for chlorination. Can someone provide any information or links?
Is this something I can switch to easily?

Thanks in advance,

MC