Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default PCB of garage door opener failed: Which PIC is this?

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 02:10:40 +0100, Joachim Wunder
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Yes, I am aware of the fact that I would need a PIC programmer and a
new 8748 or 8749 PIC (I´m still not sure which one it really is).
Pretty good question where to still get such a component from, I
know,... is there any equivalent PIC which offers the same pin
assignment and code compatibility of a 8748/8749? I know, even I doubt
that, but I better ask in this group before giving up.

It could also be an 8751, although the location of the crystal would
suggest a 48 or 49. You should be able to narrow down the likely
contenders for the uC by determining which pins are Vcc (40?), Vdd
(26?), Ground (20?), crystal (2 & 3?), reset (is there a resistor and
capacitor at pin 4?).

FWIW, I have some 8749 chips in my junk box. I also have a device
programmer that can handle them. If you are lucky, and if the uC has
dead ports but accessible EPROM, and if the security bit (?) has not
been set, then I may be able to copy it for you. In the past I've been
able to recover code from bad ROM versions of Intel uCs and replace
them with the EPROM versions.

BTW, I'm in Australia.

- Franc Zabkar