Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default Pinewood Derby Axles

Jim wrote:
2. We used the dry lube sold by the Scout shop. Everyone has been
mentioning using graphite. We are only allowed to use dry
lubrication, but we can use graphite. Is that what is typically sold
in the Scout shops? In other words, do we need to look specifically
for dry graphite lube or is all of the dry lube graphite anyway?

When I worked at Delta Research in Livonia, MI we sometimes used
molybdenum powder (molybdenum di-sulfide? I'm not certain of the exact
name -- nearly 15 years since I used it). I was told at the time that it
was much more slippery than graphite because it is shaped like little
teeny-tiny ball bearings.

And it's very, very dry.

Bill
rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000712-2, 02/09/2007
Tested on: 2/9/2007 8:04:11 PM