Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Re-manufacturing Carbon Resistance Strips in Slide Potentionmeters - any idea what binder to use?

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 20:43:38 GMT, the renowned "David Forsyth"
wrote:

I have a need to rebuild some slide pots from 1970's musical equipment that
have worn-through resistance strips. The pots are long since unobtainable
(made by CTS), and I have yet to find any suitable replacements. The
resistance strips inside the pots are removable, and consist of a die-cut
non-conductive substrate onto which a carbon resistance compound was bound
and on which the slide contact of the pot slides. Each end of the strip has
a metal connnector crimped to it to serve as an end terminal for the pot.

I think if I knew what kind of binder and process is commonly used to adhere
the carbon to the substrate I could restore the resistance layer. It would
most likely have to be baked onto the strip, which is not a problem. For
the resistance material itself, I was thinking of using material from carbon
comp resistors (it would be trial and error to find the right value for this
application). So, I am trying to find information on how resistance
material is bound to a substrate for use in wiper/pot applications (it would
have to be fairly resistant to abrasion, solvents, etc.) Please email
foda01 at epix dot net with any helpful info.

thanks,

Dave

Can't you just adapt the element out of a more available slide pot?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany