Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Cold water grounding

coustanis wrote:
Hi all,

I think I have a problem. I was doing some stuff in my basement and I
noticed that the
ground wire from the service panel was strapped to a copper cold water
pipe. The problem is
that the copper pipe with the ground then is then attached to a CPVC
pipe so the copper just ends.
Is it the copper pipe itself that carries the grounding or is it the
water inside the pipe that does it. I have this bad feeling that my
service panel is not grounded. What do you think?
To take it a step further, what method can I use to test the service
panel to see if it is, in fact grounded?

Thank you in advance.

Likely the box has a independent ground to ground wires outside. There
should also be a ground coming from the service and one going to any metal
water pipes you have. Relying on water pipes to provide ground is no longer
code.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit