Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Joachim Wunder Joachim Wunder is offline

Default PCB of garage door opener failed: Which PIC is this?

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 04:47:29 GMT, "William R. Walsh"
m wrote:

Hi!

Well, if I recall it right, then the 8031/8051 microcontroller comes
in plastic package and doesn´t has an EPROM memory like the 8748/8749,
right? So, I tend more for my PIC to be one of 8748/8749, but correct
me if I´m wrong.

Hmmm...checking the Intel datasheet for the 803x/805x family shows that some
of them (8051/8052/8751) do have onboard ROM program memory. At least one
UV-eraseable version also exists.

Any packaging could be possible, given how many different companies have
produced these parts over the years. Intel mentions a "CERDIP" package in
their datasheet, which I would take to mean "ceramic DIP".

Another thought just occurred to me...and maybe it occurred to you as well.
Did you pull the chip and check the bottom of it to see if there might be
anything printed there?

William

Hi William,

yes, yesterday I once pulled the chip (unfortunately, I already pushed
it in again). It sayed something like a numberAA, MALAY 963. I did a
reverse lookup on Google, just to find out nothing about it. I think
the number simply is kind of a serial number or so. But is there any
site where I could do a reverse lookup of such numbers just to find
out the exact type of the microcontroller? If so, I would dare to pull
the chip again.