Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] stevens.shannon@gmail.com is offline

Default Slab leak in the desert

On Feb 8, 9:09 pm, "SJF" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Howdy. I've read a lot of the posts here on slab leaks. I finally
figured out where my mystery leak was coming from... at least I think
I have. Took up the carpeting today and found the cracked concrete and
large wet spots -- sure hope the bad pipe is under there.

So here's what I'm wondering -- any thoughts on whether it's easier to
fix a slab leak or to run new hot water lines through the attic crawl
space? Seems a little scary bringing a jackhammer into the house. But
maybe that's just cuz it's so new.

The ranch house was built in 1963 on a slab in Las Vegas. Hasn't had a
leak in at least 14 years -- and maybe never though I only know going
back the 14.

I had the same problem in a suburb of Las Vegas. We determined that the
leaking pipe was the one from a manifold off the water heater to the kitchen
sink. We ran a new line from the manifold along the base of the wall in a
closet after ripping out the base board. The base board was later replaced
with finish lumber to form a decent looking cover for the pipe. In the
kitchen, the new line was threaded behind the range and a cabinet using the
concealment they provided.

It seems the attic relocation of faulty pipes is quite common. However
rarely, we do sometimes get severe freezes. In one home here, years ago, a
couple took a winter vacation and the attic pipe froze, then thawed, causing
considerable damage. They should have turned off the water when they turned
off the furnace.

I hope these comments may provide some help in determining the best way to
repair your problem.

SJF

SJF, Lawrence especially... and everybody...
Thanks so much. Seriously helpful stuff. I'm going to sleep on it and
decide the preferable course of action in the morning. I'll let y'all
know what happens next! This group rocks.

--svs