Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher Ashton Crusher is offline

Default Slab leak in the desert

On 8 Feb 2007 20:26:32 -0800, "
wrote:

Howdy. I've read a lot of the posts here on slab leaks. I finally
figured out where my mystery leak was coming from... at least I think
I have. Took up the carpeting today and found the cracked concrete and
large wet spots -- sure hope the bad pipe is under there.

So here's what I'm wondering -- any thoughts on whether it's easier to
fix a slab leak or to run new hot water lines through the attic crawl
space? Seems a little scary bringing a jackhammer into the house. But
maybe that's just cuz it's so new.

The ranch house was built in 1963 on a slab in Las Vegas. Hasn't had a
leak in at least 14 years -- and maybe never though I only know going
back the 14.

I would think it's easier to just fix the break. You can rent a
concrete saw and saw out a hunk of concrete and bust it with a sledge
after you saw it. My pool had a leak under the deck and that's how
they repaired it. He had to saw to "holes" because he was a little
off on the first one and even so the whole repair only took a couple
hours including patching the deck with new concrete.