Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Deft Brushing Lacquer problem

On Feb 8, 4:06 pm, Bill Waller wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:17:53 -0500, Bill Waller wrote:
I am using Deft Brushing Lacquer to refinish a mahogany table top. The first
coat appeared to go on well. The second coat developed what appear to be
craters in various places. I sanded with 320, cleaned with mineral spirits, and
recoated. The pock marks came back.

I have never used any kind of lacquer before.

The job is done.
I would like to thank all of those who took the time to put me in the right
direction. I ended up using three coats of sanding sealer after sanding off the
botches lacquer job.

I then sprayed several coated of Deft spray lacquer and finished with several
more coats of the brushing lacquer. I probably could have left it with the
spray, but the build-up I got wit the brushing lacquer is what I really
wanted. Although the can says that sanding between coats in not necessary, I
felt better rubbing the surface down with 600 paper between coats 1 & 2 and
then 0000 steel wool between the final coats. FYI, I used 400 and then 600
between the coats of sealer. Old habits die hard.

The table is now back in its home in the front hall. :-)

Good for you Bill. Sounds like you tamed the monster. Since this all
started a while back, I think others would enjoy it if you would start
a new subject on the goup and just post exactly what you did, that way
others could learn from you, too. Also, it is a good thing when
someone takes the time to thank those that attempted help out. You
got some good commentary going here.

Just my 0.02.

Robert