Posted to alt.home.repair

Default To the nice people in this ng (space blankets)

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Love to hear the details.

One friend of mine describes it like this:

Hey Chris it looks pretty good, your lesson. Out of everything
you put out I
have one suggestion. It's about your foil blanket. I like to
backpack and
one time I got stranded with one of my son's and my nephew on the
side of a
mountain all night. We didn't have our full backpacks with us
just what we
could carry in our day packs which means we didn't have our
sleeping bags
among other things. Anyways in my 10 essentials kit I had one of
those
little foil blankets. I had never used it but I figured now was a
real
necessary time to put it to use. When we tried to fold it out it
fell all
apart into ribbons along the fold lines. I talked with some
people about it
afterwards and was told "Oh yeah that's common knowledge" and
they said
besides replacing these little Mylar space blankets from time to
time you
should upon purchasing them unfold and refold them not on the
same fold
lines but into about a 4" square. Well that's a small thing I
thought might
help somebody.

Maybe not useful for a backpack emergency kit, but useful for a car kit-
aluminized sun-tanning blankets (if you can still find them, now that
tanning is a no-no), are almost as useful as the mylar blankets, and a lot
more durable and reusable. I used to have one in my car kit, but now that I
think about it, I haven't seen it in awhile- guess I better add it to my
list of missing crap to track down or replace.

aem sends...