Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default adding a humidifier to a furnace

I too especially like the Aprilaire self powered units, and also use / love
the 760. I'm on my third Aprilaire in 34 years, the first two each lasting
nearly 20 years apiece. I would imagine that a small Dremel cutting wheel or
nibblers will cut the plenum skin without risk to the coil.

Smarty

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 8, 10:46 am, "brechmos" wrote:
On Feb 8, 10:37 am, "Smarty" wrote:

My humidifier blows directly onto the A/C coil and works just fine. My
prior
furnace/humidifier was set up the same way and also worked fine for 20+
years. I live in a very cold climate in the Northeast U.S.

Great. I'll see if I can hook it up tonight.

Thanks.

It's the AC evaporator, not the condenser that you are looking at.
The main thing to look out for is not to damage the evaporator while
you're cutting the necessary hole for the humidifier. IMO, by far
the best humidifiers are the Aprilaire. And I like the self powered
models, (760) that don't shunt air from the hot air plenum back to the
return. I've had the 760 for 7 years now. It's very easy to service,
the whole thing just lifts off. All I do is clean it once a year and
replace the media once every 2 years.