Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Installing a floor on dirt

Penguin wrote:
I have got a house that I am working on, built it from the ground up.
It has got dirt floors at the moment, and as it turns out, I am
lacking the money to put in cement. I have heard of free floating
floors and that is the path that I am really considering now. Before I
took over the house my parents had a book that referenced using a
plastic layer on the dirt, then laying gravel on top of that, then
building something similar to the framing of a house on which the
floor would be placed. Since the idea has come up the book has since
vanished and I am at an utter loss as to what I should do. I am set on
the idea of the flooring, but lacking the reference to follow through
as I fear that I will mess up and have a large mess on my hands that
will be a great deal of work to fix. If anyone has any Ideas on what I
can do, or any books, sites or anything that could help me, that would
be great. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Think carpet. That's what the Bedouin have been doing for millenia.