Posted to alt.home.repair
West Alarm West Alarm is offline

Default Smoke alarms - radon detector

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:31:50 -0500, "comcastss news groups"
wrote:

Hey guys,
Try to remind me to replace the smoke detector outside of Sallys room with a
new one?

Been reading up on them and even if it was plugged in they should be
replaced every 10 years.

We should also test the ones me have and I should add a radon detecting one
downstairs..

3,420 deaths last year!

Even though you meant this to go out as email rather than a worldwide
discussion group it stands true.

Please everyone, test your smoke detectors! It is true that they need
to be replaced every 10 years, and the batteries need to be replaced
yearly. Of the 3,420 deaths I know one of the names, and the story is
too heartbreaking to be repeated. Let's just say the anguish of
living with the fact that a death may have been prevented by a little
action on your part, and you failed to do so, is a hard pill to
swallow.

Don't just make a mental note to check your fire detection system
'later', do it right now! Your loved ones lives depend on it, and you
don't want to live with the consequences of inaction.