Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default shower drain repair

wrote:

I have a Mustee 48.105 model shower pan, about 11 years old. It
leaked and we found that the flange of the drain was cracked. The
plumber removed the male part of the drain but we cannot find a
replacement part. Mustee does not make them any more. The part we
need has a flange that fits over the hole in the shower pan, extending
over the shower pan about 1/2 inch, and extends about 1 inch below
it. The portion extending below has 11 male threads, spaced at 11
thread per inch. This male portion is about 3 inches in outer
diameter. The female part that it came with is still connected to the
trap. All replacement parts we have been able to find have 9 threads
per inch and will not fit properly. Does anyone know where I could
get a part like this? Can anyone recommend a plumbing supply company
that stocks unusual or out of date parts? Is there any other approach
we could use to replace the drain of the shower pan that will not
involve removing the shower pan or cutting into the ceiling below?

Looked like this one?
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/sh...&prodgrpid=117

OK. I will take your word for it that the ceiling simply
*must* not be disturbed. If it is that vital to save the ceiling,
and the part is NLA, then you might be forced to have the male
threaded part made-to-order. Or built up out of 2 or 3 parts.

Sounds like a time-consuming effort no matter what.
Jim