Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field ian field is offline

Default When to get a microwave serviced

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"ian field" wrote in message

"pipjon" wrote in message

- and what can be
serviced anyway?

Your wallet mostly!!!

There can be an issue with clag in the waveguide, I understand from
friends who do work on these items. That leads to increased cooking times
due to a reduction in microwave power reaching the cooking cavity. I
suppose cleaning out the microwave path, and checking that the fans are
running smoothly and are not obstructed, and checking that the door
switches are securely fixed, and that the door and cabinet seals are all
intact and not leaking, is what would constitute " sevicing ". Otherwise,
I agree that there's not a lot that can be serviced in the traditional
sense.

Arfa

Good points but IME obstructions in the wave guide generally cause failure
if not cleared immediately, and this only happens if the mica/plastic window
has been removed because of arcing, whenever people have brought ovens to me
in this condition I point out the temporary bodge of removing the mica
should have been taken as notice to start thinking about buying a new one.

It should be easy to hear if the fan is running and doesn't require a genius
level to clean the grating if that's what's needed, door switches OTOH are
not trivial although faults usually manifest themselves in an obvious way -
like blowing the fuse as the door is shut. Door seals are easy to check with
commercially available microwave leakage meters which are not at all
expensive, actually the most common cause of leakage is dirty seals - a
service is only a temporary fix for this if the owner doesn't clean it
(usually the engineer has earned his fee just cleaning it in this case!).

Getting back to what the OP really wanted, its worth being forewarned to
check before ordering which of the 2 sizes of ES thread sizes in common use,
also 220V microwave ovens sometimes have 2 110V lamps in series - they
should be replaced as a pair.