Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Default Drywood termites, very local, very low volume treatment?

Norminn wrote:

Lar wrote:

You might look for a firm that will do a spot treatment of the area
with a product called Termidor. I'm in the Dallas area so I don't get
a chance to deal much with dry woods, but Termidor has proved to
exceed all claims made by the manufacturer for subterranean termite
and ant control so I would guess you would get the same results with
dry woods.

Gee, Lar, does it pay to advertise on newsgroups? Since you portray
yourself as a professional, you should know whether Termidor is
effective against dry wood termites. The U of Fla website, with
extensive information about pest control, mentions Termidor only as a
barrier termiticide for subterranean termites.

I guess there is a fine line in your mine on advertising and talking
about a product that I am familiar with when asked to give an opinion.
Since there is no generic form of termidor I really can't get around
naming it. I am a pro in Dallas Tx and if you locate on the web, maps or
graphs showing the distribution of drywood termites, you'll see they
aren't here so I haven't had a chance to try it myself. The reason I
have based my "opinion" is when the product came to on the market with
the usual hype and smack all manufacturers stick to their products, it
was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. Since termidor came
out on the market in 2000 I have yet to have a call back on any home
that I have treated with it. When doing WDI reports (for real estate
transactions) I have yet to find active termites on any home where other
companies have treated using it. It is the only product on the market
that I have seen that type of results. A couple of years ago, the label
was changed and added localized treatment for dry wood termites and
exterior ant control was added to the label, once again with "whacky"
promises were made by the manufacturer. The results I have gotten using
it for ant control once again exceeded my expectations, so I would think
there is a pretty good shot of a couple hundred dollar service may be
able to stop a $1200 fumigation.

It's been a few years since I did extensive research about termite
control and treatment, but at the time subterranean and drywood required
completely different methods for extermination in structures.

Subterranean termites problems are coming from the ground 99% of the
time. So whether the termites are just around a door frame or through
out the home treating the ground will be the treatment. With drywoods it
depends on the infestation. Localized treatment have always been done,
mainly with borates, but it can push termites to other areas of the
structure. The surest thing is whole home fumigation. Now the question
comes will the treating company do a quick inexpensive treatment or push
for the fumigation, is it because one "works better over another" or
does the industry not want to give up the more money generating route.

Lar