Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] b33k34@hotmail.com is offline

Default GU10 CFL equivalents

On 7 Feb, 23:22, Andy Hall wrote:
On 2007-02-07 11:19:14 +0000, said:

On 5 Feb, 18:45, Andy Hall wrote:
Ideally i'd like to use LEDs but from what I've seen/heard the bulbs
aren't quite up to it yet.

Neitherare theCFLs

Really? What are the problems with them - I'm happy enough with the
*quality* CFL replacements i've used instead of traditional bulbs
around the place. I'd not use one in, say, a cupboard where instant
light is wanted for a short period but for a light that's going to be
on for some hours they're fine.

You may find them acceptable - I'm afraid I don't - the light quality
and colour
rendition is poor in my view.

Certainly I wouldn't use them inside the house, especially as the
energy saving claims,
taken in the round are marginal at best.

I was at a friend's 'eco-house' last night which is lit entirely by
Megaman energy saving bulbs and I had (and they seem to have) no
issues with brightness or temperature of light.

There are two colour temperatures available for their GU10
replacements
See - http://www.gbbulbs.co.uk/acatalog/Low_Energy_GU10.html

Can you expand on your view on the energy saving claims? Whilst you
do gain the 'waste' heat from conventional lamps it's not necessarily
where you want it - putting heat into my kitchen ceiling is not
especially useful and for the 6 months of the year when my heating is
probably off any waste heat is just that. Comparisons on
manufacturing energy input don't take account of the final transport
leg to the home (which for many foodstuffs, at least, is the most
significant input to energy).