Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Default Drywood termites, very local, very low volume treatment?

DaveC wrote:
Hello,

I have a couple of small holes on an oak threshold. Drywood termites are
pushing out quite a lot of pellets; very impressive.

In the past I have engaged termite professionals to treat buildings locally,
but they usually spray a relatively lot of insecticide on the exterior of
the wood around the holes. Doesn't seem very efficient or environmentally
friendly.

Seems like it would be better to force a very small amount of gas or liquid
into the holes and along the tunnels. Preferably some material that might
be transferred further into the tunnel system and nest by the termites
themselves.

I have never seen a professional termite guy do this. Am I missing
something?

Also, if I could do this myself whenever I discover pellets or see one of
those little holes it would be a lot cheaper and more effective. I have the
technical background to handle toxic stuff safely.

Thanks for any ideas?

DaveC

You might look for a firm that will do a spot treatment of the area with
a product called Termidor. I'm in the Dallas area so I don't get a
chance to deal much with dry woods, but Termidor has proved to exceed
all claims made by the manufacturer for subterranean termite and ant
control so I would guess you would get the same results with dry woods.
The termites don't detect it so if by chance they don't get it to the
main galleries it won't chase the termites to another part of the
structure as other chemicals might and the foragers that are in the
treated areas continue to pass the product throughout the colony.

Lar