Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Default Drywood termites, very local, very low volume treatment?

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:46:12 -0800, "DaveC"
wrote:

Hello,

I have a couple of small holes on an oak threshold. Drywood termites are
pushing out quite a lot of pellets; very impressive.

In the past I have engaged termite professionals to treat buildings locally,
but they usually spray a relatively lot of insecticide on the exterior of
the wood around the holes. Doesn't seem very efficient or environmentally
friendly.

Seems like it would be better to force a very small amount of gas or liquid
into the holes and along the tunnels. Preferably some material that might
be transferred further into the tunnel system and nest by the termites
themselves.

I have never seen a professional termite guy do this. Am I missing
something?

Also, if I could do this myself whenever I discover pellets or see one of
those little holes it would be a lot cheaper and more effective. I have the
technical background to handle toxic stuff safely.

Thanks for any ideas?

DaveC

You have the right idea.

I recommend you spray the known holes plus drill dozens of small
1/16" holes in the studs and other wood nearby and spray with your
favorite toxic solution.

Then paint over your holes and keep your eye out for new pellets..

If you hire a professional, he MUST spray everything on your property
or you can sue him for incompetence.