Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default A couple of questions about crown molding

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:38:06 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Ike wrote:
Q1: The crown molding we purchased has a very decorative pattern. It
is very similar to the third molding shown on this site:

http://www.invitinghome.com/Crown_Mo...lding_List.htm

While it is possible to match the pattern when making a scarf or butt
joint, it is not possible in the corners.

Yes, it is.

You need to ensure that at each corner the molding coming from the left
and that coming from the right are exact mirror-images of each other.
This will mean wasting a bit of molding at each join in order to match
the pattern, as well as some very careful trimming to get it just right.

However, while it's possible to match any particular joint, you may end
up not being able to match the last joint in a room. I have no idea
what would normally be done in this case--maybe design your molding
application so that it doesn't actually cover every surface so that you
never have that last "impossible" joint?

Find a semi-inconspicuous place to add another joint midway
between corners.

Because the best solutions always involve another joint.