Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Esres Greg Esres is offline

Default Screw Gun Problem

The clutch is a nice feature which only occurs on cordless drill.
It feels the tourqe being applied. When it reaches the set level of
tourque then the clutch kicks in.

According to the service manager, that's not the way this driver
works. The clutch disengages with depth, period. They do make some
devices that work the way you describe, but I believe he said they
were intended for metal. And the add-ons for drills work via torque
as well

According to the manager, the service technician was incorrect only
when he said that it's up to the operator to drop drilling when the
proper depth was reached. That's only true when the nosecone is
removed When the nose cone hits the work surface, the bit will extend
a little further and the clutch will disengage. He said I probably
wasn't pressing firmly enough to get the dimple in the work surface.